This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.

Jay Currie

One Damn Thing After Another









StartLogic - Affordable Webhosting

california mortgage
online contact lens
compliance-news
mortgage news
christina aguilera
server security




6/02/2005

Book Tag

Jay Jardine says I'm It:

# of books I own:

With a lot of moving I've sold or given away around a couple of thousand books in the last couple of years; but, at the moment I have around four hundred. Which are a drag to move.

Last Book I Bought:

Middlesex: Jeffrey Eugenides A 2002 book about a hermaphrodite child of Greek immigrants...not at all bad.

Last Book I Read:

Yours, Al: The Collected Letters of Al Purdy Just as the title implies, Canadian Poet Al Purdy's letters. An almost instant introduction to mid century CanLit with a sense of humour and a good deal of insight into how poems are made. (A mystery to me I must confess.)

5 books that mean a lot to me:

1. The Dance to the Music of Time - Anthony Powell -- England's understated answer to Rememberance of Things Past (which I have yet to make it through). Simply one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. Fitzrovia before WWII, WWII and the slightly befuddled world of post war, pre-Thatcher England described by a brilliant and very sympathetic writer. (This is a slight cheat as TDTMT is actually 12 volumes.)

2. War and Peace - Tolstoy -- I have fallen into the habit of reading W&P every five years or so. Every time it is different. It is a book to grow older with and I suspect reading it at eighty will be as interesting as it was to read at fifteen.

3. Parades End - Ford Maddox Ford -- If you want to understand the real scandal of the Liberal Party, Tiejens's horror when told to fake statistics for the government department for which he works pretty much captures what I view as the proper reaction.

4. Good Bye to All That - Robert Graves -- A memoir of the world lost in the trenches of France. I often read it on Rememberance Day.

5. Cities and the Wealth of Nations - Jane Jacobs -- I don't think there is a better book to aid the understanding of how economics works in practice and how the urban world has evolved.

6. Assorted other critical books: Economic Analysis of Law, Richard Posner; Anarchy, The State and Utopia, Robert Nozick; Leviathan, Thomas Hobbes (with the Oakshott introduction); a list I will add to

7. Some Novels: Winnie the Pooh, A Suitable Boy (Vikram Seth), The Depford Trilogy (Robertson Davies), The Camimolle Lawn (Mary Wesley); Time Enough For Love (Robert Heinlein)...a list I will add to.

Tag 5 More:

Time to infect the Canadian blogs - let's see:

Mike Brock
Anyone at Tilting at Windmills
Nick "the Flea" Packwood
Kevin Grace
Sean McCormick